Community Hope recognizes that poor access to housing and services have hindered many individuals with mental illness from achieving self-sufficiency. The CHOICE Program strives to help individuals live independently, either in affordable housing developed by our nonprofit organization or in their own home or apartment. Unlike transitional housing programs where individuals would move through the continuum, CHOICE is intended to serve as the individual’s permanent home.
Each CHOICE resident is assigned a one-to-one counselor who assists him or her in making a successful transition to independent living with the help of these and other services as needed:
- Supportive services planning - Our support team works with each resident to develop a plan that focuses on the type and amount of support services the individual needs to succeed in their housing.
- On-site support - Counselors provide on-site support – typically on a weekly or bi-weekly basis -- to help individuals transition to permanent supportive housing.
- Case Management - Linkage to behavioral health and medical care and community based services ensures a continuum of care and quality support.
- Skill development training - Skills development is provided with the primary goal of helping residents develop the full array of life skills that are essential for successful community living, including housecleaning; grocery shopping and laundry; money management skills; use of available transportation; meal planning and preparation; personal hygiene; and illness self-management.
- Mental health medication and illness self-management - A plan is developed to help each consumer monitor their symptoms; track early warning signs; develop coping skills and prepare a plan to prevent or minimize a relapse.
- Physical healthcare linkages - Our staff ensures that individuals have access to medical and dental care, including routine care, prevention and wellness services.
- Crisis Intervention - In the event of a relapse, our crisis intervention team helps the individual minimize or avert hospitalization.
- Respite Care - Respite services in Community Hope’s 24-hour staffed facilities are available to CHOICE residents experiencing a relapse and temporarily requiring additional support. The goal of the respite program is to return individuals to their own homes as quickly as possible and to avoid a long-term disruption in their lives.
To download a referral form for the CHOICE Independent Living Program, please click here.
Please fax referral forms to our confidential clinical fax at (973) 463-0086
To speak with a Community Hope staff member about a referral or inquire on the availability of CHOICE housing, call 973-463-9600 extension 325